Storcom’s Managed Cloud File-Sharing and File Storage Solution
Storcom’s CloudFilez™ boosts workforce mobility with cloud ﬁle-sharing and mobile access, while retaining security permissions and familiar user experiences from ﬁle servers.
With Active Directory and permissions inherited, no other solution better unites existing IT infrastructure’s on-premises security with cloud mobility than CloudFilez™.
Storcom is not trying to compete with Azure Files. We developed our offering as an alternative to Azure Files as well as some of the other collaboration tools from Microsoft for customers who may have been interested in Azure Files in the past. Now, when every dollar spent on IT is being carefully scrutinized, Storcom can provide a solution at a lower cost without sacrificing features.
If using one of the public clouds is the ultimate direction of your organization, then there is nothing stopping you from moving your company’s data into Storcom’s Private Cloud and building out your approach. At a later stage in the project, Storcom can then move your data into Azure.
Reasons to Choose Storcom CloudFilez™
1) VPN Replacement
Simpler, faster, and more secure!
2) Dropbox/Azure Files Replacement
Cloud-based file server.
3) File Server Migration
Use existing NTFS permissions.
4) Business Continuity
Sync local gateway to cloud copy.
Storcom provides an end-to-end solution, from our cloud-based file server to your data center with a local cache server. Also, Storcom can provide unparalleled security with wire speed data access to your most critical data when leveraged alongside the Storcom Desktop-as-a-Service solution.
Storcom architected our CloudFilez™ offering so that you can easily access your files from a secure portal. CloudFilez™ also has the benefit of having regular backups, so that your data is always protected. Storcom CloudFilez™ integrates easily with Microsoft 365, so you can access your Office applications with ease.
Provided Managed Services and Colocation for Large Illinois-based Charter School District.
Managed Microsoft Azure Cloud Resources and File Shares for Chicago-based Law Firm Specializing in Aviation Law.
We’ll help you find your path to the cloud. View Storcom’s Cloud Enablement Roadmap Infographic.
Storcom CloudFilez™ has advanced features from security to capabilities that make our solution the perfect choice for file-sharing.
Storcom CloudFilez™ has inherent security features to ensure that your data is protected.
ALERTS & NOTIFICATIONS
Monitor your users activating with alerts and notiﬁcations of important activities.
AUDIT TRACE & HISTORY
Audit tracing and ﬁle change log reports make it easy to see what happened in the system and troubleshoot.
CloudFilez™ integrates with Mobilelron, Maas360, and other MDM platforms for better device security management.
Detect suspicious activity and block ransomware and virus’s with multiple built in protection methods.
Here are some of the examples of how the Storcom CloudFilez™ is different than our competitors and we believe that we have some benefits as a storage platform.
Storcom CloudFilez™ has version control and conflict detection. Below is a sample image to highlight these features.
Here is an image of Storcom’s web portal interface. It is a single sign-on web portal login for fast and easy access to files.
Storcom CloudFilez™ has a native Windows Explorer and Mac Finder-like interface. Below is an image to show how simple the CloudFilez™ interface is to use.
Learn more about Storcom CloudFilez™ IT file-sharing services with our frequently asked question library (FAQs).
Azure Files provides the following capabilities:
Keeping a local copy on-premises solves unique challenges:
The local Sync server is able to integrate cloud file shares into an existing environment with little to no changes. Mapped drives, etc., still look the same but we now have a copy of that data off-site. This means…drum roll…no more backups! Yes, the dreaded backup of large file shares can be completely eliminated in some cases. However, there are some challenges with Azure File Sync to consider first.
Understanding these 5 challenges in more detail:
1. Understanding Microsoft storage account redundancy options like LRS (Local Redundant Storage) vs. GRS (Geo-Redundant Storage) and what impact they have on your data. LRS only has 99.9% durability, so you will definitely need backups.
2. 5 TB limit per share on GRS & ZRS Storage. If you want large file shares, then you can only use LRS storage. This creates some challenges since you will want to use GRS storage for proper data protection in most cases. Storcom has gotten around this by using mount points, but if you need a single share greater than 5TB, then it will not work without enabling large file shares.
3. You will need to create a snapshot policy for data recoverability as well as you should be using ZRS or GRS to storage if you want to have your data protected outside of one data center. LRS and will only provide up to 99.9% data durability, respectively. ZRS is Zone redundant and GRS is for geo-redundancy.
4. You can only set permissions at the share level without Azure File Sync Server and o file-level permissions. You can set local permissions with File Sync Server, but they still do not exist in Azure Cloud.
5. Azure File Shares can use both standard and premium-level storage. You need to consider what IO profile your data will need. Premium SSD is considerably more expensive than Standard HDD and Azure files can use both types in their storage accounts.
Here are the 3 biggest issues Storcom sees with OneDrive:
1. Data protection– The local sync and cloud are meant as a way to have multiple copies of data. This means that you have a copy in the cloud if you lose your local copy….right? Don’t be so sure! Local sync software is imperfect and sometimes fails. Users may think they are backing up their important data, but it may fail for one reason or another. The only versioning that is available is on the client-side through Microsoft’s previous version history, but this is not stored in the cloud.
2. Poor reporting tools – There is no centralized reporting of this information for administrators to know that the CIO’s laptop has been failing to sync and the important Excel file he has been working on when he was in- flight has vanished. Or, more relevant now, working from home. His data might not be not syncing and nobody is alerted if and when his laptop’s hard drive fails. Storcom has built customer powershell scripts to send email from a user’s laptop to let administrators know that sync has failed, but this is still very kludge. Storcom performed a 5000-seat home drive to OneDrive migration last year and reporting became a major issue. The fact is that OneDrive is a consumer-grade product that some people are trying to use in the enterprise. Some companies have opted to back up these laptops, but that adds a whole additional level of overhead.
3. Lack of built-in migration tools – OneDrive migrations can be simple or they can be complex. It’s a manual process of cleaning up permissions as well as using tools like robo-copy to move data. Storcom has written a lot of custom powershell scripts to assist with this process but in most cases it still means cleaning up permissions etc before a migration can begin. In fairness to OneDrive. That is really not a OneDrive migration issue but more a issue in general about cleaning up poor habits of setting permissions at the wrong levels within the file system hierarchy
In summary, OneDrive is a good option to move data to the cloud if you are just trying to move 1-to-1 home directories to the cloud. You also have to be willing to accept its limitations as a trade off for “free storage.” No matter where you move your data, you will probably still have some cleaning up to do from an organizational and permissions standpoint.
Azure Files acts as an option for department shares & home directories, but there is another option from Microsoft: OneDrive.
Here is a brief overview of how Storcom CloudFilez™ solution is similar in capabilities to Azure Files:
How does Storcom CloudFilez™ Work?
Storcom partners with best-in-class and emerging technology providers to enable our clients to stay on the cutting edge of information technology.
Contact A Team Member